Thursday, December 31, 2015

Katy Perry New Year's Eve Blog Party

Last day of the year, a day to think about the great events of the past 365 days and make dreams for the next. I activity started blogging one and a half year ago, and although I didn't have clear (sewing) resolutions for 2015, I hoped to enter the (more) professional sewing league. In the past year, I managed to get myself selected by several designers to test patterns, I was an official contributor to Kids Clothes Week and gathered some competition prizes, with the prize of being a next season's Top Stitchers member as cherry on the pie. Top Stitchers is a friendly competition between blogger in which they often make a OTT (Over The Top) look. I love the concept, but I need some practice in such looks, so when Melissa was searching for applicants for a Katy Perry NYE event, I jumped on board. It doesn't go more OTT than Katy Perry. So let's get this party started!



I had over two months to make this outfit. On one hand that is great, on the other hand that means a lot of time to doubt about the look. I wondered the web searching for Katy Perry images and I relatively quickly decided on a glitter look with a big (relatively short) skirt. These parameters still left me with half a universe of patterns and fabric to choose from though.



Then I came across the Petticoat and pinafore set from Handmaiden's cottage. This fitted my demands perfectly, to make it more Katy Perry, I shortened the skirt, but besides that, I could simply follow the pattern (I know sounds strange coming from me, but while I was gathering meters and meters of fabric the hacker in me was sleeping).



I used inexpensive glitter table linen for the white petticoat (due to the gold, the glitters in the white are not that pronounced) and golden lycra for the pinafore. I thought she would only wear the two together for this shoot, but the individual pieces would work great as separated (the golden lycra pinafore paired with legging works great as modern princes dress up). My daughter didn't agree, she LOVED the look and demanded to wear it to her school's Christmas' dinner and on her birthday (that is two official wears in one and half a week). According to her it is the most beautiful thing I ever sewed, even though she says that about almost every new dress, but still it makes me happy.



For the shoot, I used my recently acquired white backdrop, it really makes the gold pop! In the past year I have strongly developed my photographic skills, but there is still a lot to learn. I have some general sewing (although they also could be called "buying") resolutions, buying less clothes (I have bought patterns for underwear and socks), buying less fabrics (last year was not very bad, but I can do better, or let's say I can do less) and buy less patterns....



So, next year I will participate in Top Stitchers and I will go on a sewing weekend, organised by her, but no other big sewing things scheduled yet. I am considering buying a coverlock, so if anybody can tell me if the Janome 2000 is really 300 euro's better than a Janome 1000 I would be helped a lot. let's hope for an even more adventurous year, than in 2015!


This leaves me to wish you a happy New Year's Eve and a good start of 2016. Thanks for visiting me and hope to see you again soon! The Katy Perry party doesn't end here though! There are great prizes to win and check out this amazing lineup of bloggers that are celebrating the New Year in full Katy Perry style:

New Year's Eve
Blog Host: Becca at Sewing Stadium
Miranda at Inspinration
Starly at Sew Starly

New Year's Day
Ajaire at Call Ajaire
Candice at Candice Ayala
Shelly at Sew Shelly Sew
Jeanine at The Crafting Fiend
Audrey at Skirt Fixation
Dorothea at Bonnie & Lottie
 
I love to hear what you think of my creations. Feel free to leave a comment in the language you prefer (although Google translate might have to assist me if you choose something different than English, German, Dutch or Hungarian).   

24 comments:

  1. Waw, daar gaan alle meisjesharten sneller van staan! Ook onze 12-jarige vind dit super ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voordeel van een gigantisch rekbaar stofje is dat hij denk ik nog wel een tijdje mee kan, ook als tuniekje straks :)

      Delete
  2. You've had an amazing, pinspirational year! Happy new year and I look forward to seeing what you come up with next year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoyed it a lot, let's make more tutorials next year!

      Delete
  3. Wauw!! Ik <3 het witte jurkje!! Ik denk ook dat ik ze apart het mooiste zou vinden, maar dochters denken daar natuurlijk anders over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This turned out so cool. Love it Miranda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful dresses!! Heel mooi gedaan en ook de foto's! En alvast de beste wensen voor het nieuwe jaar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IK ben super blij met mijn achtergrond inderdaad, nu nog meer oefenen met props..

      Delete
  6. I just love that Gold pinafore. It is so fun and very KP. My daughters would love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had already bought the fabric before the call came, so it really was meant to be, and I had almost no scraps!

      Delete
  7. So Gorgeous!! I especially love how well the pinafore turned out in the spandex. Such an awesome versatile layering piece, gold, sparkly, and comfortable, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The same thought here, I think it well get more wear than average dress up clothes.

      Delete
  8. Congrats on winning the entry to Top Stitchers! I can't wait to see what you make :) This is perfect for Katy Perry inspired and I love that your girl insists on wearing it too! That gold lycra looks like the perfect gold tights fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be great for tights indeed, it is al gone though ;)

      Delete
  9. So gorgeous! You did a fantastic job channelling Katy here! I love it! Beautiful sew!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zalige outfit! En wat een mooie verwezenlijkingen in 2015. Meer van dat in 2016!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Waw, super! Lijkt me wel niet de gemakkelijkste stof om mee te werken.Grappig dat je door de ene hobby (naaien) ook nog andere skills ontwikkeld (fotografie) :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja he, toen ik begon met bloggen had ik echt niet door hoe belangrijk fotos zijn, maar ik leer graag over de gehele breedte! Die stof ging trouwens zonder problemen over de lock.

      Delete
  12. Over the top, zeker geslaagd! Goud wil elk meisje wel, denk ik :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Theseindian wedding sareedesigns are so Pretty!!! I like the softness of the colors and the stacked party dress is really cool!!! Have a Blessed Day!

    ReplyDelete