Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Back to school with Made It patterns



In two weeks, school will start again. This time all four of our kids will go because my little one turned four this summer. The beginning of the new school year always gives a double feeling. It is the end of the summer holiday, the moment we again have to use alarm clocks, but also the moment my kids see their friends again. New teacher, new class room and new things to learn usually equals excitement. This newness is best celebrated with some more new stuff. New lunch box, new drinking bottle, new bag and new clothes. In our house I of course make the latter two and today I am showing you a back to school outfit of my eldest in Made It Patterns.



In the Netherlands the kids do not wear uniforms to school. The Netherlands is very liberal in the clothes that are allowed to school and I would say there are pretty much no rules. If my kid would go in a bikini it might be a bit weird, but I am not sure if it would be against the "rules".  I know that there are bloggers on the tour that will have to stick to grey colors on their outfits, so we went overboard (pun intended) with a very colorful knit boat fabric. My daughter picked it herself from my stash.



I made her a Groove dress. A dress that for me symbolizing freedom, although it does not twirl like a circle skirt, its wide skirt is definitely approved by my kids. This is the second Groove dress that I made, and like the first time, I slightly hacked it. Like I said, the Groove has a wide skirt, so wide that I actually could not cut it from my one meter directional print fabric. I never read fabric requirements and am a cut-first-solve-later kind a girl. So, only after cutting the front, I realized that there was no way I was going to cut a full back from this fabric. I decided to simply color block a contrasting fabric into it. To make it seem predetermined, I also added a strip to the front. Also one of the sleeves needed a color block. As usual, I really like my fix, and might like it better than if I would have been able to cut the entire dress from the boat fabric.



To take her new bottle and lunch box, I also made her a Sling Bag. I made medium size and I am totally in love with this bag! When I made this dress, I had a long and narrow leftover. No clue what I would be able to make from it, I just put it back in my stash. I was over the moon when I found out that this bag actually needed almost the entire piece! This bag and the remnant seemed to be made for each other. I really like this fabric it made gorgeous dress, but also an awesome bag and the black is perfect because this bag will see a lot of floor. To did not wanted an upside down bird so some pieces were not cut on the fold. I simply cut two and added a seam allowance.




I used two rather lightweight fabrics for this bag, so I cut a third layer, from some fluffy fabric to give the bag more body. This bag pattern is really awesome, it has two small pockets, a key chain and sews up surprisingly fast. Instead of making a key chain loop, I used a piece of elastic.



To celebrate the back to school tour, there is a 20% discount store wide with the code "btsins" until the end of August. I strongly advise to visit the shop and especially check out the Fold collection. I really stole my heart. Here you can see a mash-up that I made from two of those patterns.

CONTRIBUTORS
 TRUDY - Fox and Me
BROOKE - Idle Sunshine

MARIA - My Cozy Co
EMILY - Enjoyful Makes
THAO - Little Cumquat
SASKIA - She Who Sews
MIRANDA - Inspinration
ANN - Atelier In ‘t Leerke
TOYA - Made by Toya
OLU - Needle and Ted
Back to school graphic6

16 comments:

  1. Super as usual! Ik ben ook helemaal fan van de colourblock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marine blauwe en boten, het paste wel vond ik ;)

      Delete
  2. I wish the UK were more liberal with school uniforms. It must be so nice to see all the kids being colourful like your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes it hurts your eyes, but most of the time pretty great indeed ;)

      Delete
  3. Oh, die zou hier waarschijnlijk ook hoog scoren, zo'n mega zwier jurk - hahaha voor die 'ik knip eerst en los later op'... hier geeft dat ufo's die jaren blijven liggen dus sindsdien probeer ik er toch wat beter op te letten. Blijkbaar moet ik gewoon aan colourblock gaan doen ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uit principe leg ik het niet opzij, want dan blijft het hier inderdaad ook tot in den treuren liggen, gewoon dapper meteen afmaken!

      Delete
  4. Really lovely Miranda. I would love to go shopping in you fabric stash ��. I like the way you were thinking with that band running through the Groove dress, it worked out great. And elastic for inside the Sling bag is a pretty nifty idea.

    Thank you for being part of Back to School with Madeit Patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is enough to go around for sure, I am very much trying not to shop somewhere else now ;)

      Delete
  5. A very nice set to start school :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit sad also ofcourse that school will already start in long sleeves I fear..

      Delete
  6. Stunning! I love the stripy strip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I pretended the stripes where every even waves...

      Delete
  7. Heel leuk! Die color block doet het helemaal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anders had het wel eens behoorlijk saai kunnen zijn geworden.

      Delete
  8. Oh wat een leuke! Doet me eraan denken dat ik dit patroontje voor Tess ook heb liggen! Ik maakte het al voor mezelf en ben mega fan! Misschien ook een ideetje voor 1 september hier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zit heerlijk snel in elkaar, je hebt er zo genoeg voor de hele winter ;)

      Delete