Monday, March 6, 2017

E+M rebranding tour



Today, I am joining in on the E+M rebranding tour. The designer of both Petitboo and E+M, Allison, has decided to combine both shops under the name Petitboo. This does not only offer you more convenience, but due to the merge there is a 50% discount on all patterns! For the tour I created an outfit for my eldest using the Violet and Flora Capri leggings. Those leggings are a free pattern on Craftsy by the way!


The Violet comes in top or dress length and I made a top. The pattern has several mix and match options and I went for a curved back and short sleeves. The pattern has a subtle gathering both at the front and the back. My hacker brain was itching though and I asked Allison if I would be allowed to make a pleat at the back. Going from gathering to pleat is super easy to implement, but in case you are wondering how to do it, I did make some process pictures.


Making a pleat is nothing more than sewing one straight line. Fold both the upper and lower pattern piece in two (or keep them folded after cutting them). Position them such that the arm sides meet. The lower piece will be longer and just mark where the upper piece ends. Sew a straight line (no stretch stitch needed) for about 2 or thee centimeter and you done. If you open your lower piece it will now be exactly the same width as your upper piece. This trick can also be used to add a pleat to a pattern that does not have one. Just put it a few centimeter from the fold when you cut the piece and sew a straight line where the fold would have been.




The pattern comes with a few suggestions on hemming the short sleeve. I went for the fold over version. This would have looked even nicer if my fabric would have been a different color on the back. I really love the small stitch that you have to make to keep the fold in place.


I am on a mission to decrease my fabric stash. During the last half year I lost the weight that I gained during my pregnancies and decreasing my weight and fabric stash seem to require the same treatment. I have realized that I have a problem with control. If I eat sugar, I can not stop before I finish the bar or bag. I buy most of my fabrics online and I simply have to keep filling my cart until I (at least) reach the free shipping amount. Simply not starting the sugar or the fabric acquisition seems to work best. Sometimes I have to make an exception though, for a good chocolate or if you finally see the fabric that you have been eyeing for weeks! I bought this Nooteboom fox fabric at Textielstad, I did not see it online in their web shop yet. I of course also bought the bunny version (they did not have the dino version, else I would have bought that one for sure as well).


The free Flora leggings were made with one of the fabrics that I bought on a 75% sale at Joyfits last year. I bought 1.75 m and while I was cutting it, I got so excited by it that I immediately used it on two other projects as well. So, you will see more from this fabric in the coming week.  The fit of the leggings is really nice, I will probably make a few more for her. I made several short sleeved tops for my eldest lately and this capri length is great to pair them width.

Like I said at the beginning, Petitboo is having a 50% sale on Etsy with the code "petitboo50" until March 10. Make sure that you check out those adorable shoe patterns by the way!

15 comments:

  1. Nice top! And indeed love that fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought 1.5m of this one and 1.5m from the bunnies so you will be seeing a lot more of that one as well ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh I do so love that hacker brain of yours! love the idea of the pleat at the back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice job! The tee is my favorite and the added pleat detail makes it extra special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, next time I turn it into a reverse box pleat, love variation!

      Delete
  4. I LOVELOVELOVE this outfit! Super fun. And I LOVE the pleat at the back... very cute! Thank you "sew" much for joining the petitboo re-branding tour. :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too :), my mother actually told me she thought the combination of fabrics was very weird, and I think they work very well together. How plain the world would be if we all like the same thing.

      Delete
  5. That top fabric has been doing the rounds over here in the UK too :)
    Love that little top, it's so simple, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Seeing as Nooteboom textiles is practically located in my back yard I would have expected them earlier here ;)

      Delete
  6. You did it again! What a great outfit ❤

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your website is really cool and this is a great inspiring article.
    guatemala tours

    ReplyDelete